Re: Trusted kernel patchset for Secure Boot lockdown

From: One Thousand Gnomes
Date: Wed Feb 26 2014 - 17:22:17 EST

> > kernel was trusted - untrusted userspace could have set it on an untrusted
> > kernel, but by the same metric an untrusted kernel could just set it itself.
> >
> > If people object to this name then I swear to god that I will open a poll
> > on Phoronix to decide the next attempt and you will like that even less.

Go on open the poll - I dare you. But don't be shocked if it ends up
being called "Eric" or "Icanhazsigs" 8)

> For the Chrome OS use-case, it might be better described as "untrusted
> userspace", but that seems unfriendly. :) The "trusted kernel" name
> seems fine to me.

Trusted is rather misleading. It's not trusted, it's *measured*.

It's the same bits you had when you made it, and when you booted it
before. Whether you trust them is a different and quite unrelated
question. You may have reasons to do either.

Alan