Re: [BUG kretprobes] kretprobe triggers General Protection Faults

From: Masami Hiramatsu
Date: Tue Feb 25 2014 - 21:48:30 EST

Hi Mathieu,

(2014/02/26 4:46), Mathieu Desnoyers wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I had a bug report[1] from a user trying to add a kretprobe on the system
> call entry code path:
>
> arch/x86/kernel/entry_64.S:
>
> ffffffff813dffe2 <system_call_fastpath+0x16>:
> cmpl $__NR_syscall_max,%eax
> #endif
> ja badsys
> movq %r10,%rcx
> call *sys_call_table(,%rax,8) # XXX: rip relative
> movq %rax,RAX-ARGOFFSET(%rsp) <--- return address pointing here

Hm, I guess you put kretprobes on the functions on the sys_call_table,
right?

> And all hell breaks loose (various types of faults, machine reboots,
> applications exit randomly, etc.). I understand that this code path
> is not marked as unsafe against kprobes, and I tested that a kprobes
> indeed works fine there. However, kretprobes probably presumes a function
> stack layout that is just not valid for the syscall entry routine.

All the syscall entry functions caused this issue? or some
specific function(s) ?
And could you tell me the kernel version you used?

> Any thoughts on how kretprobes should handle this ?

I'll try to reproduce it in kvm environment.

Thank you!

--
Masami HIRAMATSU
IT Management Research Dept. Linux Technology Center