Re: Loseing my patience with libata and sata_nv

From: Gene Heskett
Date: Fri Feb 14 2014 - 23:02:16 EST

On Friday 14 February 2014, Larry Finger wrote:
>On 02/14/2014 12:42 PM, Randy Dunlap wrote:
>> On 02/14/2014 08:31 AM, Gene Heskett wrote:
>>> Which is required for my $290 ASUS M2n-SLI Deluxe motherboard to boot.
>>>
>>> Not finding the option in any kernel tree that exists on my system,
>>> except it appears its been replaced or something.
>>>
>>> This once in a lifetime boot, to 3.12.9, shows from an lsmod:
>>> libata 146855 2 sata_nv,pata_amd
>>> scsi_mod 153579 4 sr_mod,sg,sd_mod,libata
>>>
>>> I haven't a clue how I got it in this boot, and I built it. And
>>> apparently a make oldconfig, carefully done by hand (takes about an
>>> hour 30 to do) is not capable of adding it to a .config BECAUSE it
>>> does NOT exist in any of the arch/x86/configs/i386_defconfig's
>>> present on this machine.
>>
>> It does not have to exist in any defconfig. Those are just default
>> config files and SATA_NV is not enabled by default, but you can still
>> enable it.
>>
>>> Here is how I searched:
>>>
>>> gene@coyote:~/src/linux-3.0.69$ grep SATA_NV
>>> arch/x86/configs/i386_defconfig gene@coyote:~/src/linux-3.0.69$ cd
>>> ../linux-3.2.40
>>> gene@coyote:~/src/linux-3.2.40$ grep SATA_NV
>>> arch/x86/configs/i386_defconfig gene@coyote:~/src/linux-3.2.40$ cd
>>> ../linux-3.4.36
>>> gene@coyote:~/src/linux-3.4.36$ grep SATA_NV
>>> arch/x86/configs/i386_defconfig gene@coyote:~/src/linux-3.4.36$ cd
>>> ../linux-3.8.2
>>> gene@coyote:~/src/linux-3.8.2$ grep SATA_NV
>>> arch/x86/configs/i386_defconfig gene@coyote:~/src/linux-3.8.2$ cd
>>> ../linux-3.8.3
>>> gene@coyote:~/src/linux-3.8.3$ grep SATA_NV
>>> arch/x86/configs/i386_defconfig gene@coyote:~/src/linux-3.8.3$ cd
>>> ../linux-3.12.0
>>> gene@coyote:~/src/linux-3.12.0$ grep SATA_NV
>>> arch/x86/configs/i386_defconfig gene@coyote:~/src/linux-3.12.0$ cd
>>> ../linux-3.12.6
>>> gene@coyote:~/src/linux-3.12.6$ grep SATA_NV
>>> arch/x86/configs/i386_defconfig gene@coyote:~/src/linux-3.12.6$ cd
>>> ../linux-3.12.9
>>> gene@coyote:~/src/linux-3.12.9$ grep SATA_NV
>>> arch/x86/configs/i386_defconfig gene@coyote:~/src/linux-3.12.9$ cd
>>> ../linux-3.13.1
>>> gene@coyote:~/src/linux-3.13.1$ grep SATA_NV
>>> arch/x86/configs/i386_defconfig gene@coyote:~/src/linux-3.13.1$ cd
>>> ../linux-3.13.2
>>> gene@coyote:~/src/linux-3.13.2$ grep SATA_NV
>>> arch/x86/configs/i386_defconfig gene@coyote:~/src/linux-3.13.2$
>>>
>>> I've been fighting with this, intermittently for about 6 months.
>>> Except for this 3.12.9 where I must have been holding my mouth right,
>>> all the rest are boot failures because it can't find the boot drive
>>> with so-and-so for a UUID. sata_nv is on the missing list, even in
>>> this WORKing boots defconfig. "Working" however is a miss-statement,
>>> no multimedia stuff was built.
>>>
>>> There has to be a rule I am violating, but even with Randy's D's help,
>>> it is not becoming obvious. FWIW libata references also can't be
> [...]

Almost exactly the same, Larry, I waited for the 2 minute timeout that
tried to print something on the top line of the screen before I got up to
walk over and reset it, but this time there was about a 1 minute blast of
disk activity from the drive it was trying to boot from, and I thought I
might have been an e2fsck, so I waited till the drive leds went off and
stayed off before resetting it. Nothing on the screen changed after that.

So call me clueless & you would be pretty accurate. :(

Is there another dependency yet?

Thanks.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

NOTICE: Will pay 100 USD for an HP-4815A defective but
complete probe assembly.