Re: i386_defconfig for 3.13.2?

From: Gene Heskett
Date: Thu Feb 13 2014 - 21:08:16 EST

On Wednesday 12 February 2014, Randy Dunlap wrote:
>On 02/12/2014 11:08 AM, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> Greetings, not making any progress on newer kernel builds yet.
>>
>> So I unpacked 3.13.2 this morning and copied its
>> arch/x86/i386_defconfig to .config.
>>
>> Ran make oldconfig, then 3 or 4 sessions of xconfig removing stuff that
>> isn't for my hardware & generally making lots of modules where I wasn't
>> sure.
>>
>> But, my "makeit" script, when it makes the initrd, spits out this, and
>> note the not always final "/"
>>
>> now making a new /boot/initrd.3.13.2.img
>> find: `/lib/modules/3.13.2/kernel/arch': No such file or directory
>> find: `/lib/modules/3.13.2/kernel/arch': No such file or directory
>> find: `/lib/modules/3.13.2/kernel/arch/': No such file or directory
>> find: `/lib/modules/3.13.2/kernel/arch/': No such file or directory
>> find: `/lib/modules/3.13.2/kernel/arch/': No such file or directory
>> find: `/lib/modules/3.13.2/kernel/arch/': No such file or directory
>> find: `/lib/modules/3.13.2/kernel/arch/': No such file or directory
>> find: `/lib/modules/3.13.2/kernel/arch/': No such file or directory
>> find: `/lib/modules/3.13.2/kernel/arch/': No such file or directory
>>
>> And indeed that directory does not exist.
>> And that string does not exist in the .config.
>>
>> Does this ring any bells?
>
>Not for me, but building the initrd (or initramfs) may be
>distro-specific. You might have to share the command that was used for
>that and maybe even the script that was executed (like /sbin/mkinitrd --
>where yours and mine are probably different depending on distros).
>
>Have you (your script) already run 'make install' at this point?
>AFAIK, that should have created /lib/modules/3.13.2/kernel/arch/ and some
>other subdirectories there.

I finally got thru a makeit, using the original version I last whacked at a
year or so back.

I blew the tree away, unpacked it fresh and did another make oldconfig.
BOOM
I copied the Makefile in from 3.12.9, edited the version & ran it, BOOM.

I had some crypto stuff as modules, but finally I said the only thing I can
do is lock out root, called up a make menuconfig, went down to the crypto
section and set it to M for all previously cleared crypto things. Worked,
the /lib/modules/3.13.2/crypto tree is created and populated and
mkinitramfs works as advertised. Now for a boot test, but at least the SOB
built.

15 minutes later, boot test is abject failure, only gets to "booting the
kernel" on the tty screen and stops.

One last q: What is the syntax to make this command line:

ccache make -j2 bzImage

Its using 98% of all 4 cores of this phenom, which is currently sitting at
about 78.8F ATM, but which will be above 260F 3 to 4 seconds after I start
a compile. Its ignoring the -j2 & lighting up all 4 cores like a movie
marquee in gkrellm's cpu displays.

Thanks for any more insight Randy.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

NOTICE: Will pay 100 USD for an HP-4815A defective but
complete probe assembly.