Re: mm: BUG: Bad rss-counter state

From: Sasha Levin
Date: Wed Jan 22 2014 - 21:15:42 EST

On 01/22/2014 08:39 PM, David Rientjes wrote:
On Wed, 22 Jan 2014, Sasha Levin wrote:

Hi all,

While fuzzing with trinity running inside a KVM tools guest using latest -next
kernel,
I've stumbled on a "mm: BUG: Bad rss-counter state" error which was pretty
non-obvious
in the mix of the kernel spew (why?).

It's not a fatal condition and there's only a few possible stack traces
that could be emitted during the exit() path. I don't see how we could
make it more visible other than its log-level which is already KERN_ALERT.

Would it make sense to add a VM_BUG_ON() to make it more obvious when we have
CONFIG_VM_DEBUG enabled? Many of the VM_BUG_ON test cases are non-fatal either,
and it would make it easier spotting this issue.

I've added a small BUG() after the printk() in check_mm(), and here's the full
output:

Worst place to add it :) At line 562 of kernel/fork.c in linux-next
you're going to hit BUG() when there may be other counters that are also
bad and they don't get printed.

I gave the condition before curly braces :)

if (unlikely(x)) {
printk(KERN_ALERT "BUG: Bad rss-counter state "
"mm:%p idx:%d val:%ld\n", mm, i, x);
BUG();
}

[ 318.334905] BUG: Bad rss-counter state mm:ffff8801e6dec000 idx:0 val:1

So our mm has a non-zero MM_FILEPAGES count, but there's nothing that was
cited that would tell us what that is so there's not much to go on, unless
someone already recognizes this as another issue. Is this reproducible on
3.13 or only on linux-next?

Yup, I see it in v3.13 too, which is odd.

Thanks,
Sasha