Re: [RFC/PATCH 1/3] pm: make PM macros more smart

From: David Cohen
Date: Wed Jan 22 2014 - 16:16:28 EST

On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 02:42:11PM -0800, David Cohen wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 20, 2013 at 12:23:36PM -0800, David Cohen wrote:

> > > I thought that point of this patch series was getting rid of the
> > > #ifdefs around the function...? Now I'm confused.
> >
> > Maybe you're misinterpreting the test :)
> >
> > This #ifdef is used to make this same test code to replicate both
> > scenarios according to -DMAKE_ME_NULL (just pay attention to actual
> > resulting code after #ifdef's are tested. the #ifdef here is nor related
> > to actual #ifdef on kernel). Here are both scenarios:
> >
> > (1) Not using my trickery (which needs the function to not be present).
> > (2) Using my trickery (which needs to function to stay).
> >
> > With -DMAKE_ME_NULL we replicate (2), then the function *is* there but
> > gcc gets rid of it on resulting binary without warnings if used with -O2.
> >
> > Without -DMAKE_ME_NULL we replicate (1). The #ifdef will fail and then
> > remove the function which is an obvious scenario the function won't be
> > part of resulting binary.
> >
> > If we use -S option to have human readable resulting assembly code
> > (which is kind of 1:1 for resulting binary), we can compare the result
> > of (1) and (2) and check they are pretty similar.
> > This proves gcc behaves as expected with my patch: do not need #ifdef
> > and do not generate dead codes to resulting binary.

> > > If you have ifdef around the function, why do you need magic here? Why
> > > not
> >
> > This #ifdef is necessary to prevent the function to be used when it
> > doesn't exist due to above #ifdef. But once again: don't misinterpret
> > the #ifdefs in this test app with the ones in kernel. They are not
> > related at all. If it's still confusing you just make 2 test apps
> > without #ifdeds out of this one where one keeps the code inside #ifdefs
> > and the other doesn't.
> >

> > > .func = func1
> > >
> > > ?
> > >
> > > Basically the warning tells you that you want the ifdef around the
> > > function, too... (Otherwise you waste space). That seems like good
> > > warning.
> >
> > Just check my first explanation.
>
> Ping :)
>
> Comments here?

I found few problems to be fixed prior to be possible this optimization.

Many drivers are calling SET_*_PM_OPS() functions and passing
non-defined symbols as argument. It's not triggering compilation issue
currently because the drivers synchronize when the symbols are not
defined with SET_*_PM_OPS() not using them. But IMHO it's a violation of
scopes: all drivers calling SET_*_PM_OPS() should give valid symbols,
since it creates an unwanted cross-dependence between those PM functions
and their users (why SET_*_PM_OPS() can't use symbols given to them as
argument?).

I can work on fixing SET_*_PM_OPS() users beforehand in case my proposal
here is accepted.

Br, David Cohen