Re: [BISECTED] Linux 3.12.7 introduces page map handling regression

From: Rik van Riel
Date: Wed Jan 22 2014 - 13:39:46 EST

On 01/22/2014 01:24 PM, Linus Torvalds wrote:
On Wed, Jan 22, 2014 at 10:07 AM, Rik van Riel <riel@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

The difference between a numa pte and a protnone pte is
the VMA permissions.

If that is indeed the only difference, then we should damn well get
rid of that f*cking stupid _PAGE_NUMA name entirely.

It's misleading crap. Really. Just do a quick grep for that bit, and
you see just *how* confused people are about it:

#define _PAGE_NUMA _PAGE_PROTNONE
if ((pte_flags(a) & (_PAGE_PROTNONE | _PAGE_NUMA)) &

think about it. Just *THINK* about how broken that code is. The whole
thing is a disaster. _PAGE_NUMA must die. It's shit.

The reason things are this way is that we were
not sure whether we can indeed use _PAGE_PROTNONE
for NUMA balancing on all architectures.

If we are sure that _PAGE_PROTNONE can be used
everywhere, I agree we should get rid of the whole
_PAGE_NUMA naming, and replace that ambiguous
code with some comments and documentation instead.