Re: [BUG] mm: thp: hugepage_vma_check has a blind spot

From: David Rientjes
Date: Tue Jan 21 2014 - 18:24:21 EST

On Tue, 21 Jan 2014, Alex Thorlton wrote:

> hugepage_vma_check is called during khugepaged_scan_mm_slot to ensure
> that khugepaged doesn't try to allocate THPs in vmas where they are
> disallowed, either due to THPs being disabled system-wide, or through
> MADV_NOHUGEPAGE.
>
> The logic that hugepage_vma_check uses doesn't seem to cover all cases,
> in my opinion. Looking at the original code:
>
> if ((!(vma->vm_flags & VM_HUGEPAGE) && !khugepaged_always()) ||
> (vma->vm_flags & VM_NOHUGEPAGE))
>
> We can see that it's possible to have THP disabled system-wide, but still
> receive THPs in this vma. It seems that it's assumed that just because
> khugepaged_always == false, TRANSPARENT_HUGEPAGE_REQ_MADV_FLAG must be
> set, which is not the case. We could have VM_HUGEPAGE set, but have THP
> set to "never" system-wide, in which case, the condition presented in the
> if will evaluate to false, and (provided the other checks pass) we can
> end up giving out a THP even though the behavior is set to "never."

You should be able to add a

BUG_ON(current != khugepaged_thread);

here since khugepaged is supposed to be the only caller to the function.

> While we do properly check these flags in khugepaged_has_work, it looks
> like it's possible to sleep after we check khugepaged_hask_work, but
> before hugepage_vma_check, during which time, hugepages could have been
> disabled system-wide, in which case, we could hand out THPs when we
> shouldn't be.

You're talking about when thp is set to "never" and before khugepaged has
stopped, correct?

That doesn't seem like a bug to me or anything that needs to be fixed, the
sysfs knob could be switched even after hugepage_vma_check() is called and
before a hugepage is actually collapsed so you have the same race.

The only thing that's guaranteed is that, upon writing "never" to
/sys/kernel/mm/transparent_hugepage/enabled, no more thp memory will be
collapsed after khugepaged has stopped.