Re: [GIT PULL] x86/kaslr for v3.14

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Tue Jan 21 2014 - 09:14:28 EST

* H. Peter Anvin <hpa@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 01/21/2014 06:03 AM, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> >
> > * H. Peter Anvin <hpa@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> kASLR is new, but on 32 bits we have relocated the kernel for a long
> >> time. [...]
> >
> > I doubt many people develop on 32-bit x86, and the group of people
> > looking at annotated 32-bit assembly kernel profiles ought to be
> > another order of magnitude smaller than that ...
>
> Yes... I was commenting on the statement that "kASLR predated that
> by years". It hasn't been common.

Ah, I didn't mean to suggest that it's an old upstream feature: what I
mean is that the KASLR patch is pretty old, and it has been deployed
by the Chromium guys for quite some time, and by others?

It was just never combined with perf live annotation which is a recent
perf feature.

Anyway ... I suspect it's the fixing of the bug that matters most, not
its genealogy ;)

Thanks,

Ingo