x86: Inconsistent xAPIC synchronization in arch_irq_work_raise?

From: Jan Kiszka
Date: Tue Jan 21 2014 - 08:28:44 EST

Hi all,

while trying to plug a race in the CPU hotplug code on xAPIC systems, I
was analyzing IPI transmission patterns. The handlers in
arch/x86/include/asm/ipi.h first wait for ICR, then send. In contrast,
arch_irq_work_raise sends the self-IPI directly and then waits. This
looks inconsistent. Is it intended?

BTW, the races are in wakeup_secondary_cpu_via_init and
wakeup_secondary_cpu_via_nmi (lacking IRQ disable around ICR accesses).
There we also send first, then wait for completion. But I guess that is
due to the code originally only being used during boot. Will send fixes
for those once the sync pattern is clear to me.

Jan

--
Siemens AG, Corporate Technology, CT RTC ITP SES-DE