Re: gcc tickets for sparse attributes

From: Johannes Berg
Date: Fri Jan 17 2014 - 03:33:31 EST

On Thu, 2014-01-16 at 21:27 -0800, H. Peter Anvin wrote:

> However, I would also like support for the context extensions, but I'm
> not knowledgeable enough to describe the semantics accurately. Would
> anyone be willing to file a ticket describing how the context extension
> works well enough that it could be implemented?

IMHO the context extension doesn't work well enough in sparse to
document and implement as is. It would be much better if it actually was
able to differentiate between contexts, rather than treating each one
the same. This would avoid the problem that locking one lock and
unlocking another (in the kernel's __acquire/ __release mechanism) could
still result in a warning.

johannes