Re: check && lockdep_no_validate (Was: lockdep: Introduce wait-typechecks)

From: Alan Stern
Date: Thu Jan 16 2014 - 15:26:12 EST

On Thu, 16 Jan 2014, Peter Zijlstra wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 06:43:48PM +0100, Oleg Nesterov wrote:
> > But with or without this change the following code
> >
> > static DEFINE_MUTEX(m1);
> > static DEFINE_MUTEX(mx);
> >
> > lockdep_set_novalidate_class(&mx);
> >
> > // m1 -> mx
> > mutex_lock(&m1);
> > mutex_lock(&mx);
> > mutex_unlock(&mx);
> > mutex_unlock(&m1);
> >
> > // mx -> m1 ; should trigger the warning ???
> > mutex_lock(&mx);
> > mutex_lock(&m1);
> > mutex_unlock(&m1);
> > mutex_unlock(&mx);
> >
> > doesn't trigger the warning too. This is correct because
> > lockdep_set_novalidate_class() means, well, no-validate.
> > The question is: do we really want to avoid all validations?
>
> Good question.
>
> > Why lockdep_set_novalidate_class() was added? Unlees I missed
> > something the problem is that (say) __driver_attach() can take
> > the "same" lock twice, drivers/base/ lacks annotations.
>
> Indeed, the driver model locking always slips my mind but yes its
> creative. Alan Stern seems to have a good grasp on it though.

Mostly my "grasp" is just a firm belief that trying to manage locking
throughout the entire driver tree is hopeless. Individual sub-portions
of it are usually well behaved, but the thing as a whole is a mess.

> > Perhaps we should change the meaning of lockdep_set_novalidate_class?
> > (perhaps with rename). What do you think about the patch below?
> >
> > With this patch __lockdep_no_validate__ means "automatically nested",
>
> Yes, I suppose that might work, it would allow some validation.

I haven't seen the patch, but I'm not so sure it will work. Suppose we
have two devices, D1 and D2, and some other mutex, M. Then the locking
pattern:

lock(D1);
lock(M);
unlock(M);
unlock(D1);

generally should not conflict with:

lock(M);
lock(D2);
unlock(D2);
unlock(M);

even though D1's and D2's locks belong to the same class. For example,
M might be a mutex embedded in the private data associated with D1, and
D2 might be a child of D1.

Alan Stern