Re: serial8250: bogus low_latency destabilizes kernel, need sanitycheck

From: Pavel Roskin
Date: Tue Jan 14 2014 - 11:25:05 EST

Hi Alan,

Quoting One Thousand Gnomes <gnomes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

Maybe we should unset the low_latency flag as soon as DMA fails? There
are two flags, one is state->uart_port->flags and the other is
port->low_latency. I guess we need to unset both.

Well low latency and DMA are pretty much exclusive in the real world so
probably DMA ports shouldn't allow low_latency to be set at all in DMA
mode.

That's a useful insight. I assumed exactly the opposite.

But how should a real low_latency device work? Are they supported by 8250_core? Do they have hard IRQs? Are those IRQs handled by serial8250_handle_irq()?

If DMA is not used, then serial8250_rx_chars() is the only way to receive data. But serial8250_rx_chars() calls tty_flip_buffer_push() unconditionally, and the later should not be called from the IRQ context for low_latency devices, if the comment about it is to be trusted.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin