Re: [tip:perf/core] perf/x86: Fix active_entry initialization

From: Stephane Eranian
Date: Mon Jan 13 2014 - 10:49:45 EST

On Mon, Jan 13, 2014 at 4:45 PM, Peter Zijlstra <peterz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 12, 2014 at 10:42:47AM -0800, tip-bot for Stephane Eranian wrote:
> > - union {
> > - struct hlist_node hlist_entry;
> > - struct list_head active_entry;
> > - };
> > + struct hlist_node hlist_entry;
> > + struct list_head active_entry;
>
> Fwiw, we could probably stick both of those in hw_perf_event.
>
> the software event's hrtimer isn't the biggest entry anymore, so we
> could add the hlist_entry in there, and we can start a new entry for
> RAPL events.

Yeah, that would be possible.
The other thing I noticed too in another uncore patch I am preparing is
that we could also use that active_entry to avoid tracking association
of uncore events to counters to update them in the hrtimer routine.
All we need there is the list of active event on the uncore PMU and
we iterate over them.