Re: Question on compiler warning

From: Larry Finger
Date: Tue Dec 31 2013 - 14:28:44 EST

On 12/31/2013 04:56 AM, Mark Cave-Ayland wrote:
Hi Larry,

Could it be that you don't see the issue the locally because you've got
different compiler optimisation settings? I've seen a similar bug recently on
another project where the "may be used uninitialized" warning appears with -O0
and -O1 but magically disappears with the default -O2 setting (presumably
because the optimiser performs some kind of inlining/reordering that makes the
issue go away).

Mark,

It is possible. Certainly, a higher optimization level will force the compiler to do a better job of flow analysis. I am using -O2, which is the standard in the kernel makefile. I would expect that Geert is also using the same lever, but perhaps not.

Larry