Re: Possible 3.13-rc nouveau regression with GT 560 Ti

From: Ilia Mirkin
Date: Tue Dec 31 2013 - 05:36:36 EST

On Tue, Dec 31, 2013 at 5:14 AM, Sid Boyce <sboyce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> System x86_64 with openSUSE 13.1.
> X.Org version: 1.14.99.905
>
> openSUSE 12.2 kernels boot successfully into a graphical screen, login to
> KDE4, etc. all normal.
>
> 3.13-rc kernels boot fully with X running but no graphical screen and it
> freezes in VC with not all the startup messages displayed but I could ssh in
> from another box to check dmesg and logs.
>
> Xorg.0.log which I thought I had saved did not log an error.
>
> dmesg said "nouveau Playlist update failed".
>
> Changed the GeForce GT 560 Ti for a GeForce 8600 GT and 3.13.0-rc6 is up and
> running.
>
> If necessary I can go back to the GT 560 Ti to gather dmesg and Xorg log
> information.

Having a dmesg would be nice. One thing I can think of off-hand is
that 3.13-rc has MSI turned on by default. You can turn it off by
adding "nouveau.config=NvMSI=0" to your kernel cmdline. If that
doesn't help, a bisect restricted to drivers/gpu/drm/nouveau should
show the offending commit fairly quickly.

-ilia