Re: section miss-matches in older 3.8.3 kernel, and one question

From: Gene Heskett
Date: Thu Dec 26 2013 - 16:41:30 EST

On Thursday 26 December 2013, Randy Dunlap wrote:
>On 12/26/13 10:58, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> Greetings;
>>
>> In my attempts to find a 64 bit or PAE enabled kernel to run on my
>> older ASUS M2N-SLI Delux mobo, I saw a note go by during the build
>> that there were 9 section-miss-matches.
>>
>> But when I applied the cli option recommended to the make lines in my
>> makeit script, I only got these 2 squawks.
>>
>> WARNING: drivers/net/ethernet/amd/depca.o(.text+0xcce): Section
>> mismatch in reference from the function depca_isa_probe() to the
>> function
>> .init.text:DepcaSignature()
>> The function depca_isa_probe() references
>> the function __init DepcaSignature().
>> This is often because depca_isa_probe lacks a __init
>> annotation or the annotation of DepcaSignature is wrong.
>>
>> WARNING: drivers/net/ethernet/amd/depca.o(.text+0xd22): Section
>> mismatch in reference from the function depca_isa_probe() to the
>> function
>> .init.text:depca_hw_init()
>> The function depca_isa_probe() references
>> the function __init depca_hw_init().
>> This is often because depca_isa_probe lacks a __init
>> annotation or the annotation of depca_hw_init is wrong.
>>
>> I am not capable to fixing these, too many years & miles on the wet
>> ram, but I thought that maybe someone might be interested.
>
>This driver was removed from the kernel source tree on Jan. 16, 2013.
>
>Sure, it's still in 3.8.x so those section mismatches could be fixed,
>but most section mismatches have been recently fixed by eliminating
>CONFIG_HOTPLUG and removing the use of all __devinit* and __devexit*.
>
>Do you use this driver? is it barfing?
>or you just happened to build it and saw these warnings?

The latter Randy, and I can recall when they were moderately important in
the 2.6 days. FWIW, I just built, but haven't reboot tested yet, a 3.12.0,
with no reported errors... But now kmail is back to freezing its composer
for 2 or 3 minutes at a time while running 3.8.3. 3.8.2 didn't do that
nearly as often.

Thanks, Randy

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)