RE: spinlock_irqsave() && flags (Was: pm80xx: Spinlock fix)

From: Suresh Thiagarajan
Date: Tue Dec 24 2013 - 04:14:03 EST

On Tue, Dec 24, 2013 at 1:59 PM, Ingo Molnar <mingo@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> * Oleg Nesterov <oleg@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> > I don't think that's true: if it was then the lock would not be
>> > irqsave, a hardware-irq could come in after the lock has been taken
>> > and before flags are saved+disabled.
>>
>> I do agree that this pattern is not safe, that is why I decided to ask.
>>
>> But, unless I missed something, with the current implementation
>> spin_lock_irqsave(lock, global_flags) does:
>>
>> unsigned long local_flags;
>>
>> local_irq_save(local_flags);
>> spin_lock(lock);
>>
>> global_flags = local_flags;
>>
>> so the access to global_flags is actually serialized by lock.

Below is a small pseudo code on protecting/serializing the flag for global access.
struct temp
{
spinlock_t lock;
unsigned long lock_flags;
};
void my_lock(struct temp *t)
{
unsigned long flag; // thread-private variable as suggested
spin_lock_irqsave(&t->lock, flag);
t->lock_flags = flag; //updating inside critical section now to serialize the access to flag
}

void my_unlock(struct temp *t)
{
unsigned long flag = t->lock_flags;
t->lock_flags = 0; //clearing it before getting out of critical section
spin_unlock_irqrestore(&t->lock, flag);
}

Here for unlocking, I could even use spin_unlock_irqrestore(&t->lock, t->lock_flags) directly instead of my_unlock() since t->lock_flags is updated only in my_lock and so there is no need to explicitly clear t->lock_flags. Please let me know if I miss anything here in serializing the global lock flag.

Thanks,
Suresh