Re: [RFC] Packaging libtraceevent.so

From: Arjan van de Ven
Date: Mon Dec 02 2013 - 14:04:34 EST

On 12/2/2013 11:03 AM, Steven Rostedt wrote:
Hi all!

The question has recently come up in Fedora about packaging the
libtraceevent.so library. Currently there's 4 users of it:

1) perf
2) trace-cmd
3) powertop
4) rasdaemon

But each have their own copy of the code.

Both perf and trace-cmd are the major developers of the package, and I
would recommend that they continue using the *.a version, but for those
tools that are simple users of the library, it would probably make
sense to have them use libtraceevent.so and remove their copies from
the code (powertop and rasdaemon).

The question that I'm posing here is, what currently needs to be done
to have this happen?

Is the API stable enough for a release?

We probably should have a dot versioning with the .so (ie.
libtraceevent.so.1)

So what are people's thoughts on this topic?

powertop would much rather use a system copy than our own...
but if it's not there in common distros we need to carry our own obviously