kref doc: Why kref kernel doc omits kref_put when kthread_run fail

From: YuLicheng
Date: Wed Nov 20 2013 - 21:52:10 EST

The document is /Documentation/kerf.txt, and I'm referring to v3.12:
https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-stable.git/tree/Documentation/kref.txt?id=v3.12

Part of the first example in the document is attached below.
In my_data_handler(), kref_init() already put 1 to refcount, and kref_get()
next made the refcount 2. But if kthread_run() fails, only one kref_put() will
take place (right after the out tag), it renders the refcount to be 1 at last,
and the data will never be freed.

int my_data_handler(void)
{
int rv = 0;
struct my_data *data;
struct task_struct *task;
data = kmalloc(sizeof(*data), GFP_KERNEL);
if (!data)
return -ENOMEM;
kref_init(&data->refcount);

kref_get(&data->refcount);
task = kthread_run(more_data_handling, data, "more_data_handling");
if (task == ERR_PTR(-ENOMEM)) {
rv = -ENOMEM;
goto out;
}

.
. do stuff with data here
.
out:
kref_put(&data->refcount, data_release);
return rv;
}

I also noticed that there once was a kref_put() before "goto out" in the doc
before some point of 2009, but it was removed by a patch that claimed that this
kref_put() was redudent.
The patch commit is:
https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-stable.git/commit/Documentation/kref.txt?id=8f1ecc9fbc5b223e4f5d5bb8bcd6f5672c4bc4b6

Is this a bug or maybe I missed something?

Licheng