Re: [to-be-updated]mm-memcg-add-memoryoom_control-notification-for-system-oom.patch removedfrom -mm tree

From: Michal Hocko
Date: Wed Nov 20 2013 - 05:09:01 EST

On Wed 20-11-13 00:05:18, David Rientjes wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Nov 2013, akpm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
> > Subject: [to-be-updated] mm-memcg-add-memoryoom_control-notification-for-system-oom.patch removed from -mm tree
> > To: rientjes@xxxxxxxxxx,hannes@xxxxxxxxxxx,kamezawa.hiroyu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx,mhocko@xxxxxxx,mm-commits@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > From: akpm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2013 13:38:14 -0800
> >

> > The patch titled
> > Subject: mm, memcg: add memory.oom_control notification for system oom
> > has been removed from the -mm tree. Its filename was
> > mm-memcg-add-memoryoom_control-notification-for-system-oom.patch
> >
> > This patch was dropped because an updated version will be merged
>
> Why is this removed?

I've asked Andrew to drop it for now (you were CCed) and mentioned my
reasons.

> I've laid out my perspective for doing userspace oom handling and this is
> a vital part for system oom handling. I know that we are currently
> discussing alternative proposals but my proposal is by far the most
> complete and allows the most powerful policies to be implemented in
> userspace. I'd prefer if we would keep the patch unless an actual
> alternative is proposed and agreed upon, we can still discuss alternatives
> while this in -mm and this patch in no way precludes other mechanisms from
> being implemented.
>
> So why remove this?

This is a user interface visible change. I do not want to do it until we
agree on a way to go. I do not see any advantage of having this in -mm
until then. It doesn't need any testing from -next (does it?) and the
code is simple enough to push it later on without troubles if the
memcg.oom_control is considered as a way to go. I do not see any reason
to rush it in now.

--
Michal Hocko
SUSE Labs