Re: [patch] mm, memcg: add memory.oom_control notification forsystem oom

From: One Thousand Gnomes
Date: Mon Nov 18 2013 - 18:15:45 EST

> And accessing the emergency reserves means we are definitely no longer
> A-OK, this is not comparable to the first direct reclaim invocation.
>
> We exhausted our options and we got really lucky. It should not be
> considered the baseline and a user listening for "OOM conditions"
> should be informed about this.

Definitely concur - there are loading tuning cases where you want to
drive the box to the point it starts whining and then scale back a touch.

It's an API change in effect, and while I can believe there are good
arguments for both any API change ought to be a new API for listening
only to serious OOM cases.