Re: [patch 2/2] mm, memcg: add memory.oom_control notification forsystem oom

From: Michal Hocko
Date: Mon Nov 18 2013 - 13:52:27 EST

On Thu 14-11-13 15:26:55, David Rientjes wrote:
> A subset of applications that wait on memory.oom_control don't disable
> the oom killer for that memcg and simply log or cleanup after the kernel
> oom killer kills a process to free memory.
>
> We need the ability to do this for system oom conditions as well, i.e.
> when the system is depleted of all memory and must kill a process. For
> convenience, this can use memcg since oom notifiers are already present.

Using the memcg interface for "read-only" interface without any plan for
the "write" is only halfway solution. We want to handle global OOM in a
more user defined ways but we have to agree on the proper interface
first. I do not want to end up with something half baked with memcg and
a different interface to do the real thing just because memcg turns out
to be unsuitable.

And to be honest, the more I am thinking about memcg based interface the
stronger is my feeling that it is unsuitable for the user defined OOM
policies. But that should be discussed properly (I will send a RFD in
the follow up days).

[...]
--
Michal Hocko