Re: perf/tracepoint: another fuzzer generated lockup

From: Peter Zijlstra
Date: Thu Nov 14 2013 - 10:33:21 EST

On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 04:23:04PM +0100, Peter Zijlstra wrote:
> /*
> + * We must dis-allow sampling irq_work_exit() because perf event sampling
> + * itself can cause irq_work, which would lead to an infinite loop;
> + *
> + * 1) irq_work_exit happens
> + * 2) generates perf sample
> + * 3) generates irq_work
> + * 4) goto 1
> + */
> +TRACE_EVENT_PERF_PERM(irq_work_exit, is_sampling_event(p_event) ? -EPERM : 0);

And the only reason this doesn't feed fwd itself into oblivion for
irq_work_enter() is because the irq_work_list must not be empty when the
interrupt is raised, and queueing further work does not re-raise the
IPI.

Also, we should probably do something 'smart' for kprobes, as all of
irq_work.c and plenty of perf itself is not __kprobe marked so you're
all free to insert kprobes in the middle of perf and then attach perf to
such a thing.