Re: Linux 3.12 released .. and no merge window yet .. and 4.0 plans?

From: Alexander Holler
Date: Mon Nov 04 2013 - 12:45:53 EST

Am 04.11.2013 01:10, schrieb Linus Torvalds:

(...)
Onto a totally different topic: we're getting to release numbers where
I have to take off my socks to count that high again. I'm ok with
3.<low teens>, but I don't want us to get to the kinds of crazy
numbers we had in the 2.x series, so at some point we're going to cut
over from 3.x to 4.x, just to keep the numbers small and easy to
remember. We're not there yet, but I would actually prefer to not go
into the twenties, so I can see it happening in a year or so, and
we'll have 4.0 follow 3.19 or something like that.

Now, it's just a number (since we've long since given up on
feature-related releases), and it's at least a year away, so why do I
even mention it at all?
(...)
Comments?

You could go towards the lovely number Pi (Ï):

3.12
3.13
3.14
3.141
3.1415
3.14159
3.141592
3.1415926
(...)
4.0

That would

- not be crazy numbers,
- make some math loving people happy,
- make people remembering that number,
- be a test for broken version number parsers,
- not as boring as usual version numbers,
- be in good tradition (e.g. TeX),
- make some maintainers hate me for that suggestion, ;)
- ...

Regards,

Alexander Holler