Re: Disabling in-memory write cache for x86-64 in Linux II

From: Artem S. Tashkinov
Date: Wed Oct 30 2013 - 06:07:18 EST

Oct 30, 2013 02:41:01 AM, Jack wrote:
On Fri 25-10-13 19:37:53, Ted Tso wrote:
>> Sure, although I wonder if it would be worth it calcuate some kind of
>> rolling average of the write bandwidth while we are doing writeback,
>> so if it turns out we got unlucky with the contents of the first 100MB
>> of dirty data (it could be either highly random or highly sequential)
>> the we'll eventually correct to the right level.
> We already do average measured throughput over a longer time window and
>have kind of rolling average algorithm doing some averaging.
>
>> This means that VM would have to keep dirty page counters for each BDI
>> --- which I thought we weren't doing right now, which is why we have a
>> global vm.dirty_ratio/vm.dirty_background_ratio threshold. (Or do I
>> have cause and effect reversed? :-)
> And we do currently keep the number of dirty & under writeback pages per
>BDI. We have global limits because mm wants to limit the total number of dirty
>pages (as those are harder to free). It doesn't care as much to which device
>these pages belong (although it probably should care a bit more because
>there are huge differences between how quickly can different devices get rid
>of dirty pages).

This might sound like an absolutely stupid question which makes no sense at
all, so I want to apologize for it in advance, but since the Linux kernel lacks
revoke(), does that mean that dirty buffers will always occupy the kernel memory
if I for instance remove my USB stick before the kernel has had the time to flush
these buffers?