Re: OMAPFB: CMA allocation failures

From: ÐÐÐÐÐÐ ÐÐÐÐÑÑÐÐ
Date: Tue Oct 29 2013 - 08:47:45 EST

Hi,

I grepped through the code and there are lots of places where get_user_pages is called, though
I suspect either SGX or DSP (or both) drivers to be the ones to blame. Both of them are active
and needed for HW accelerated video decoding.

>If so, it's no surpse that fails the migration and CMA doesn't work.
>
>--
>Kind regards,
>Minchan Kim

Well, if CMA is to be reliable, I would expect some logic to take care about get_user_pages
causing MIGRATE_CMA pages to be effectively made non-migratable, either by migrating them out of
CMA area before they got pinned or by providing a mechanism to migrate them when needed. I am far
from knowing the nuts and bolts of MM and CMA, but so far I failed to see any such logic. Without
it, CMA could be fine for allocating small buffers, but when we talk about framebuffer memory
needed for 720p playback(for example) on a RAM limited embedded device, it is too fragile, IMO.

BTW quick googling shows I am not the first one to encounter similar problems [0], [1], I don't
see solution for.

However, back to omapfb - my understanding is that the way it uses CMA (in its current form) is
prone to allocation failures way beyond acceptable.

Tomi, what do you think about adding module parameters to allow pre-allocating framebuffer memory
from CMA during boot? Or re-implement VRAM allocator to use CMA? As a good side-effect
OMAPFB_GET_VRAM_INFO will no longer return fake values.

Regards,
Ivo

[0] http://lwn.net/Articles/541423/
[1] https://lkml.org/lkml/2012/11/29/69