Re: State of "perf: Add a new sort order: SORT_INCLUSIVE"

From: Arun Sharma
Date: Tue Oct 29 2013 - 00:33:28 EST

On 10/28/13 8:11 PM, Namhyung Kim wrote:

Hey Namhyung:

Also, what's the reasoning for --cumulate not being an option under
perf record -g ..,<order>?

Sorry, I cannot understand you. The 'perf record' just saves sample
data (and callchains) from the ring-buffer. All the processing happens
in 'perf report'. I can't see what you expect from the 'perf record
--cumulate'. Am I missing something?

Yes - I meant to say perf report -g :)

> -g [type,min[,limit],order]

Specifically, along with callee, caller, we could have a third option. Or we could have a new type (graph, fractal, cumulative).

Given that there are clear use cases in production involving complex
callgraphs, I'm for getting this support in first and then reconciling
the differences with perf record -b later.

I think what Frederic said is that the code de-duplication of 'perf
report' side. The branch stack and --cumulate are different - branch
stack concentrates on the branch itself but --cumulate uses callchains
to find parents and give some credit to them as side information.

Me too. I brought it up with Stephane at some point in the last year or so and there wasn't an obvious way to de-duplicate because of these differences.

-Arun