Re: State of "perf: Add a new sort order: SORT_INCLUSIVE"

From: Rodrigo Campos
Date: Mon Oct 28 2013 - 04:43:08 EST

On Mon, Oct 28, 2013 at 02:09:49PM +0900, Namhyung Kim wrote:
> Hi Rodrigo,
>
> On Fri, 25 Oct 2013 16:07:21 +0100, Rodrigo Campos wrote:
> >
> > That will be useful for me and I was wondering if you are still working on that
> > or if there is a newer version than v6:
> >
> > http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel.perf.user/882
> >

> > Maybe you have a newer version of it not sent to the list ? Or do you plan to
> > work on it anytime soon ?
> >
> > If there is any branch to test, please let me know :)
>
> Yes I have a patch series for that. But it's not a new sort order but a
> new command line option --culumate. I don't think it should be a new
> sort order since it affects only how it counts period value on each
> sample not how samples are sorted/grouped.
>
> It's about a year since I sent this series to list. I'll work on it and
> send it to the list soon. But before that I have to re-read what's the

Great, thanks a lot!

> Frederic's concern - IIRC it's about consolidating code in perf report
> that does similar things on branch stack.
>
> Frederic, can you remember what was the problem?
>
> Anyway, You can find the series and discussion on the link below:
>
> https://lkml.org/lkml/2012/9/13/81

I've read the cover letter for that series and probably because I don't know
about perf internals I have a question: How will "--culumate" interact with
"--sort=dso" for example ?

I mean, is it possible for that to show more than 100% ? (if you add all the
93.35% in your example in the cover letter, or something similar). Or
"--culumate --sort=dso" will just group together all entries that have a dso in
the call chain ?

Sorry if the question was too obvious if I knew about perf internals :S

Thanks a lot,
Rodrigo