perf: PERF_EVENT_IOC_PERIOD on ARM vs everywhere else

From: Vince Weaver
Date: Sun Oct 27 2013 - 22:30:07 EST

Hello

it was pointed out to me that in the 3.7 kernel (more specifically,
3581fe0ef37ce12ac7a4f74831168352ae848edc ) a change was made in the
ARM architecture to change how PERF_EVENT_IOC_PERIOD is handled.

Unlike other architectures, post-3.7 ARM updates the period right away
rather than waiting until the next overflow.

I can't find any discussion as to why this change was made.

Should other architectures be updated to? I just wanted to find out the
rationale for this before I update the manpage to reflect the difference
in behaviors between architectures.

Vince