Re: [BUG 3.12.rc4] Oops: unable to handle kernel paging requestduring shutdown

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Fri Oct 25 2013 - 04:38:37 EST

On Mon, Oct 14, 2013 at 6:53 PM, Linus Torvalds
<torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> And your other oopses do seem to have a similar pattern, even if their
> actual oops is elsewhere. They oops in run_timer_softirq, also taking
> a page fault in the 0xf9...... range, so it might well be a vmalloc
> address there too.

Hmm.. I just got a run_timer_softirq oops on my own laptop, slightly
different. That was not during shutdown, although there was a "yum
upgrade" finishing when that happened, so it's quite likely that there
was a service shutdown (and then restart).

I think it's related. But my oops has almost no information: the IP
that was jumped to was bogus, and the callchain is just CPU idle
followed by the softirq -> run_timers_softirq handling, so there's no
real way to see *what* triggered it.

The bad rip was ffffffffa051e250, which is not a valid code address.
It *might* be a module address, though. So this might be triggered by
rmmod on some module that doesn't remove all its timers...

Ideas?

Linus