Re: [libseccomp-discuss] ARM seccomp filters and EABI/OABI

From: Andy Lutomirski
Date: Thu Oct 24 2013 - 17:14:45 EST

On Thu, Oct 24, 2013 at 12:11 PM, Paul Moore <pmoore@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wednesday, October 23, 2013 02:02:00 PM Andy Lutomirski wrote:
>> I'm looking at the seccomp code, the ARM entry code, and the
>> syscall(2) manpage, and I'm a bit lost. (The fact that I don't really
>> speak ARM assembly doesn't help.)
>
> I suspect Kees, and perhaps Will, will be able to provide the best answers,
> but my thoughts are below.
>
>> My basic question is: what happens if an OABI syscall happens?
>
> Well, libseccomp doesn't support ARM OABI and since all the new ARM stuff is
> EABI I don't think there is much reason to worry about OABI. I know this
> doesn't answer your question, but perhaps this provides some context.

Are you sure you don't support it? What actually happens if someone
writes an EABI program that issues an OABI syscall? (I'm hoping that
the syscall nr ends up offset by 0x900000, but I'm not sure.)

>> AFAICS, the syscall arguments for EABI are r0..r5, although their
>> ordering is a bit odd*.
>
> Hmmm, that could complicate things a bit - do you know if they are put in a
> more "standard" order by the time they are accessed in seccomp_bpf_load() via
> task_pt_regs()? If not, we likely need to come up with some special handling
> in libseccomp to account for this.

I don't think that such a think is possible. It depends on the
signature of the particular syscall, and I don't know if there's any
table of these things.

>> For OABI, r6 seems to play some role, but I'm
>> lost as to what it is. The seccomp_bpf_load function won't load r6,
>> so there had better not be anything useful in there... (Also, struct
>> seccomp_data will have issues with a seventh "argument".)
>>
>> But what happens to the syscall number? For an EABI syscall, it's in
>> r7. For an OABI syscall, it's in the swi instruction and gets copied
>> to r7 on entry. If a debugger changes r7, presumably the syscall
>> number changes.
>>
>> Oddly, there are two different syscall tables. The major differences
>> seem to be that some of the OABI entries have their argument order
>> changed. But there's also a magic constant 0x900000 added to the
>> syscall number somewhere -- is it reflected in _sigsys._syscall? Is
>> it reflected in ucontext's r7?
>
> Thankfully, I've been able to ignore most of this.
>
>> I'm a bit surprised to see that both the EABI and OABI ABIs show up as
>> AUDIT_ARCH_ARM.
>
> Yeah, the usage of AUDIT_ARCH_* is not really ideal for seccomp. There are
> similar issues with x32; not quite as bad as with ARM, but still ...

As long as the combination of AUDIT_ARCH and nr uniquely identifies a
syscall and its ABI, life should be good.

--Andy

--
Andy Lutomirski
AMA Capital Management, LLC