Re: Proposal for menuconfig removal

From: Alexander Holler
Date: Thu Oct 24 2013 - 11:35:51 EST

Am 24.10.2013 17:02, schrieb Aldo Iljazi:
On 24-10-2013 17:03, Alexander Holler wrote:
Am 24.10.2013 13:56, schrieb Aldo Iljazi:
Since nconfig is there, menuconfig is redundant.

I am proposing to remove it from the kernel.

Looks like nconfig depends on F-keys, which unfortunately do disappear
more and more on modern keyboards, so I wouldn't call that a very good
idea.

Regards,

Alexander Holler
--

If that's the case then I agree, but are they really? I've not seen a
keyboard without F-keys.

There are many of them. But it isn't only about keyboards without those keys, it's about situations where those keys are inaccesible too. Guess why Midnight Commander supports ESC-n as alternative for Fn.

Or just try to use make nconfig from any of the various Android (SSH)-Terminals. Relying on F-keys isn't a very good idea.

Regards,

Alexander Holler