Re: [RFC] A logger specialized for receiving from netconsole.

From: Jeff Moyer
Date: Thu Oct 24 2013 - 11:16:01 EST

Tetsuo Handa <penguin-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Background:
>
> When troubleshooting system freeze problems, obtaining SysRq messages
> is commonly used. However, sometimes it is impossible to let syslog
> daemon save the messages. In that case, serial console can be used.
>
> However, in already-deployed enterprise servers, it is difficult to
> reboot the system in order to add the serial console to the list of
> consoles. Also, speak of virtualized servers in the cloud environment,
> it may be difficult to add the virtual serial console which would
> require FTP-like access to the log files saved on the virtualization
> host.
>
> As I'm working at NTT Open Source Software Center, I'm having
> difficulties with obtaining SysRq messages from already-deployed
> RHEL 3/4/5/6 servers where the serial console is not attached yet.

For rhel 3 and 4, you can actually configure netconsole to send syslog
style messages. Red Hat shipped a userspace package named
netdump-server, which will create a directory per IP, and log netconsole
messages there. The netdump-0.7.16 source rpm is the latest version I
could find, let me know if you want me to put the sources somewhere for
you.

Cheers,
Jeff