Re: [BUG] WARN_ON(!context) in drivers/pci/hotplug/acpiphp_glue.c

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Thu Oct 10 2013 - 17:18:08 EST

On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 1:59 PM, Steven Rostedt <rostedt@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Unfortunately it's not a single commit. I tried to bisect it better,
> but it really is the merge. I'm thinking a chance in one merge caused
> the WARN_ON() to trigger that was added in a later merge.

That looks a bit unlikely. The whole acpiphp_init/get/put_context()
logic is entirely internal to drivers/pci/hotplug/acpiphp_glue.c, and
that merge gets absolutely all the changes from one side, except for a
one-liner change to that file that looks entirely unrelated (commit
928bea964827 "PCI: Delay enabling bridges until they're needed").

That said, that one commit did cause other problems (see commit
f41f064cf435: "PCI: Workaround missing pci_set_master in pci
drivers"), so who knows. Some subtle interaction with exactly when the
hotplug functions end up being called?

But it could possibly be timing-related too. Does everything behind
that hp bridge still work?

Linus