tracing SCSI commands over SATA

From: Karl Kiniger
Date: Thu Oct 10 2013 - 12:40:56 EST

Hi,

I want to record all SCSI commands/status for a SATA DVD drive.
Right now I am using a USB<>SATA bridge and wireshark on usbmon.

Q: Can something similar be done without having to go over USB?

I am interested only about the SCSI commands sent to a particular
SATA drive and resulting status codes and also timing.

...looking for possible causes why a few drives are locking up for
10..20 minutes on DVD+RW packet writing on UDF and then continue like
nothing happened. (linux tries hard to reset but the drives dont accept
any commands until the 10..20 minutes are over), not even INQUIRE, nothing.

Karl