Re: [x86] BUG: unable to handle kernel paging request at 00740060

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Tue Oct 08 2013 - 15:20:37 EST

On Tue, Oct 8, 2013 at 12:05 PM, Jakub Jelinek <jakub@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> If you suspect a compiler bug, can somebody please narrow it down to
> a single object file (if I've skimmed the patch right, it is just an
> optimization, where object files compiled without and with the patch
> should actually coexist fine in the same kernel), ideally to a single
> routine if possible and post a preprocessed source + gcc command line
> + version of gcc?

It is indeed just an optimization, and we could in theory switch
between the two versions on a case-by-case basis, but we don't have
any sane way to really do that.

I'll try to see if I can reproduce this on my hardware (just applying
that patch on top of my own tip) and see if I can try to narrow things
down. But I looked at the assembly for a couple of files, and it all
looked good, and I know this patch works fine for others (ie all the
normal -tip testing), so I suspect it's something specific to what
Fengguang does.

Linus