Re: [x86] BUG: unable to handle kernel paging request at 00740060

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Tue Oct 08 2013 - 15:09:04 EST

On Tue, Oct 8, 2013 at 11:51 AM, Oleg Nesterov <oleg@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I do not really understand inline assembly constraints, but I'll ask
> anyway.
>
> +#define __GEN_RMWcc(fullop, var, cc, ...) \
> +do { \
> + asm volatile goto (fullop "; j" cc " %l[cc_label]" \
> + : : "m" (var), ## __VA_ARGS__ \
> ^^^^^^^^^
>
> don't we need
>
> "+m" (var)

We have a memory clobber instead. So the memory is marked as input and
clobbered.

And we'd love to mark it "+m", but "ask goto" cannot have outputs.

For the serializing ones, the memory clobber is ok - they have barrier
semantics anyway. But we'd actually *want* to use "asm goto" for some
cases where the memory clobber is too big of a hammer, so if we ever
get input/output constraints to "asm goto" we'll be happy.

Of course, right now it looks like we shouldn't be in a rush to use
"asm goto" at all...

Linus