Re: IRQ affinity notifiers vs RT

From: Sebastian Andrzej Siewior
Date: Fri Oct 04 2013 - 12:44:26 EST

On 10/01/2013 01:44 AM, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> Right, but it looks quite strange to have this thread just for a
> (probably) quite rare event. Maybe some day someone will work out how
> to make Octeon's IRQ management less unusual and then you can use the
> simpler approach for RT...

We have three threads for some rare events by now if I count correctly.
That is
- mce check on x86 (mce_notify_helper_thread)
- this one
- clock_was_set_delayed() (pending)

So right now I am thinking about a workqueue for rare events because if
I keep doing this we end up with a bunch useless tasks for something
that might never occur.

> Ben.

Sebastian