Re: [pchecks v2 0/2] percpu v3: Implement Preemption checks for__this_cpu operations

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Fri Oct 04 2013 - 02:02:04 EST

* Christoph Lameter <cl@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> This patchset introduces preemption checks for __this_cpu operations.
>
> First we add new raw_cpu operations that perform this cpu operations
> without preempt checks.
>
> The second patch then adds the preempt checks by modifying the
> __this_cpu macros in include/linux/percpu.h

Patch submission technical feedback: your 0/2 mail is still non-standard,
it arrived out of order and looks broken - why isn't it threaded to the
other patches? Here is how it looks like in my mailer:

You should either use "git send-email" to create proper threading (you can
use that even if you originally created the series via Quilt), or you can
send them manually with proper threading (that's what I did years ago when
I still used Quilt).

You should not burden lkml with broken-format submissions, especially as
the size of this patch series is expected to grow in the future, as you
fix false positive warnings.

64877 C Oct 03 Christoph Lamet ( 206) ââ>[pchecks v2 2/2] percpu: Add preemption checks to __this_cpu ops
64878 C Oct 03 Christoph Lamet ( 121) ââ>[pchecks v2 1/2] percpu: Add raw_cpu_ops
64879 C Oct 03 Christoph Lamet ( 24) [pchecks v2 0/2] percpu v3: Implement Preemption checks for __this_cpu operatio

> V2->V3:
> - Subject line in the raw_cpu_ops patch had ; instead of :.
> Guess I am getting old.
> - Improve descriptions and variable names.
> - Run tests again with kvm to verify that it still works.
> A) No warnings with just the patches applied
> B) Lots of warnings with CONFIG_DEBUG_THIS_CPU_OPERATIONS enabled

Patch series technical feedback: it's standard kernel debugging
infrastructure policy that all warnings that trigger with debugging
enabled need to be fixed, so your series will need to fix them before I
can move forward with merging these patches.

Please fix these technical shortcomings before your next submission.

Thanks,

Ingo