Re: RFC: (re-)binding the VFIO platform driver to a platform device

From: Christoffer Dall
Date: Wed Oct 02 2013 - 14:43:15 EST

On Wed, Oct 02, 2013 at 01:32:38PM -0500, Scott Wood wrote:
> On Wed, 2013-10-02 at 13:25 -0500, Yoder Stuart-B08248 wrote:

Why hacky? It seems quite reasonable to me that the user has to tell a
subsystem that from a certain point it should be capable of handling
some device.

As for the data structure, isn't this a simple linked list?

The problem with the race seems to be a common problem that hasn't even
been solved for PCI yet, so I'm wondering if this is not an orthogonal
issue with a separate solution, such as a priority or something like
that.

Yes, once you've added the new_compatible to the vfio-platform driver,
it's up for grabs from both the new and the old driver, but that could
be solved by always making sure that the vfio-platform driver is checked
first.

(I'm not familiar with these data structures, but I would imagine
something like re-inserting the vfio-platform driver in the
list/tree/... whenever adding a new_compatible value might possibly be
one solution).

> What's wrong with a non-vfio-specific flag that a driver can set, that
> indicates that the driver is willing to try to bind to any device on the
> bus if explicitly requested via the existing sysfs bind mechanism?

It sounds more hackish to me to invent some 'generic' flag to solve a
very specific case. What you're suggesting would let users specify that
a serial driver should handle a NIC hardware, no? That sounds much much
worse to me.

-Christoffer