Re: [QUERY] Why does perf-trace need me to be root?

From: David Ahern
Date: Wed Oct 02 2013 - 09:02:48 EST

On 10/2/13 3:20 AM, Ramkumar Ramachandra wrote:
Hi,

All the other perf tooling can be used as a normal user. At one point,
I had to touch /proc/sys/kernel/perf_event_paranoid to get me numbers
on a PMU event without a symbolic name, but that's about it.
perf-trace seems to be the exception though:

artagnon|perf-core=:~/src/linux/tools/perf$ perf trace -a -e open
Couldn't read the raw_syscalls tracepoints information!

The responsible codepath is:

if (perf_evlist__add_newtp(evlist, "raw_syscalls", "sys_enter",
trace__sys_enter) ||
perf_evlist__add_newtp(evlist, "raw_syscalls", "sys_exit",
trace__sys_exit)) {

I don't understand much of what's going on, but what can be done to
improve the situation for users?

If you trust your users make the debugfs mount point rx by group,world.

David