Re: [RFC] Restrict kernel spawning of threads to a specified set of cpus.

From: Gilad Ben-Yossef
Date: Sun Sep 15 2013 - 09:47:54 EST

On Thu, Sep 12, 2013 at 5:16 PM, Frederic Weisbecker <fweisbec@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 12, 2013 at 02:10:56PM +0000, Christoph Lameter wrote:
>> On Thu, 12 Sep 2013, Frederic Weisbecker wrote:
>>
>> > Why not do this from userspace instead?
>>
>> Because the cpumasks are hardcoded in the kernel code.
>>

> Ok but you can change the affinity of a kthread from userspace, as
> long as you define a cpu set that is among that kthread's cpus allowed.

There is also the problem of kernel threads registering timers. We
don't have a good way to migrate those yet, I believe.

Gilad

--
Gilad Ben-Yossef
Chief Coffee Drinker

"If you take a class in large-scale robotics, can you end up in a
situation where the homework eats your dog?"
-- Jean-Baptiste Queru