Re: GPT detection regression in efi.c from commit 27a7c64

From: Matt Porter
Date: Fri Sep 13 2013 - 14:17:14 EST

On 09/13/2013 01:37 PM, Davidlohr Bueso wrote:
On Fri, 2013-09-13 at 13:01 -0400, Matt Porter wrote:
On 09/13/2013 12:28 PM, Davidlohr Bueso wrote:
[...]

I get that this is not compliant with UEFI. I bring this up because
before this commit the is_pmbr_valid() check was less pedantic. In 3.11
a PMBR formatted this way did not fail the check. For my particular
case, I simply dded out LBA 1 and whacked the SizeInLBA field to comply
with the spec and this patch and I'm back in business. We're updating
the tools that we inherited to prepopulate our boards with a GPT to be
compliant. However, I wondered if this would be a problem for all the
people with Windows-generated GPTs as noted in [1].

I guess this comes down to choosing whether or not we want Linux to be
more UEFI compliant or not. Should we care if Microsoft decides to go do
things out of the official spec? I don't know the policy here. The fact
is that *they* should update their partitioning tools and create valid
pMBRs. Any way, I'm ok with reverting this commit if deemed necessary.

I can't say first-hand that Windows 7/8 does what is claimed in this
description as I simply don't have access to any Windows machines here.
If it's true, I would have to agree with Linus that meeting reality if
more important than meeting the spec.

Yep, me too.

Hopefully somebody can confirm that Windows does indeed produce these
special PMBRs that need to be handled as an exception to the spec.

I've got a partition with Windows 7 and I can take a look during the
weekend. Do you know exactly what tool was used for creating the
partition?

Just to be clear, we used an internal Broadcom tool that did this Windows-like behavior on our bcm281xx reference board.

In the Windows situation, I really have no idea what tool Windows 7/8 use to partition disks. Based on that article, I'm assuming it's whatever today's version of "FDISK", as shipped on Windows 7/8, is.

Ok, Google claims it is "The Windows 7 Disk Management" tool. I might try to stop at somebody's house this weekend, boot Linux from USB and extract the PMBR from their drive just as another data point.

-Matt