Re: GPT detection regression in efi.c from commit 27a7c64

From: Matt Porter
Date: Fri Sep 13 2013 - 14:10:07 EST

On 09/13/2013 02:07 PM, Davidlohr Bueso wrote:
On Fri, 2013-09-13 at 13:01 -0400, Matt Porter wrote:
On 09/13/2013 12:28 PM, Davidlohr Bueso wrote:
Cc'ing Linus.

On Fri, 2013-09-13 at 10:50 -0400, Matt Porter wrote:
The commit, "27a7c64 partitions/efi: account for pmbr size in lba", that
was just merged in 3.12-rc caused a regression on my system with a GPT
formatted eMMC device. In 3.11, the GPT partition table was detected
fine but now a partition table is not detected.

Not being a GPT expert, I did some research and found that the tool used
to create the PMBR on my system shares characteristics with what is
mentioned in an explanation of Microsoft created PMBRs [1]. In short,
the size_in_lba field incorrectly has 0xffffffff even though I have a
<2TiB drive (16GiB eMMC).

*sigh*. So Microsoft decided to do its own version of the GPT specs.

Don't sound so surprised. :)

Up until now, Linux was incorrectly enforcing pMBR checks: not
recognizing valid labels and vice versa, as with the case you are
mentioning now. The changes that went in the 3.12 merge window attempt
to address those concerns, enforcing the correct checks - which is also
how Linux partitioning tools do it (fdisk, parted).

Understood, and we are fixing our own manufacturing tool that was used
to prepopulate the eMMC. I definitely prefer to have this correct for my
case.

Come to think of it, we do have a long existing workaround: the
force_gpt option. Setting it will bypass any MBR checking
(is_pmbr_valid(), specifically).

Yes, that's what I used at first after seeing what the problem was. But then I opted to fix my PMBR.

I felt like it was a regression since it required a new option passed on the cmdline.

-Matt