Re: [GIT PULL] Btrfs

From: Hugo Mills
Date: Fri Sep 13 2013 - 10:51:59 EST

On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 09:07:36AM -0400, Ric Wheeler wrote:
> On 09/12/2013 11:36 AM, Chris Mason wrote:
> >Mark Fasheh's offline dedup work is also here. In this case offline
> >means the FS is mounted and active, but the dedup work is not done
> >inline during file IO. This is a building block where utilities are
> >able to ask the FS to dedup a series of extents. The kernel takes
> >care of verifying the data involved really is the same. Today this
> >involves reading both extents, but we'll continue to evolve the patches.
>
> Nice feature!
>
> Just a note, the "offline" label is really confusing. In other
> storage products, they typically call this "out of band" since you
> are online but not during the actual write in a synchronous way :)

I knew there was a specific term for this, but couldn't remember
what it was. I've now updated the btrfs website's description(s) of
the feature to include "out-of-band" and "in-band".

Hugo.

PGP key: 65E74AC0 from wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net or http://www.carfax.org.uk
--- Once is happenstance; twice is coincidence; three times ---
is enemy action.