Re: [BUG] completely bonkers use of set_need_resched + VM_FAULT_NOPAGE

From: Maarten Lankhorst
Date: Fri Sep 13 2013 - 03:51:16 EST

Op 13-09-13 09:46, Thomas Hellstrom schreef:
> On 09/13/2013 09:16 AM, Maarten Lankhorst wrote:

>>> Actually, from looking at the mm code, it seems OK to do the following:
>>>
>>> if (!bo_tryreserve()) {
>>> up_read mmap_sem(); // Release the mmap_sem to avoid deadlocks.
>>> bo_reserve(); // Wait for the BO to become available (interruptible)
>>> bo_unreserve(); // Where is bo_wait_unreserved() when we need it, Maarten :P
>>> return VM_FAULT_RETRY; // Go ahead and retry the VMA walk, after regrabbing
>>> }
>> Is this meant as a jab at me? You're doing locking wrong here! Again!
>
> It's not meant as a jab at you. I'm sorry if it came out that way. It was meant as a joke. I wasn't aware the topic was sensitive.
>
> Anyway, could you describe what is wrong, with the above solution, because it seems perfectly legal to me.
> There is no substantial overhead, and there is no risc of deadlocks. Or do you mean it's bad because it confuses lockdep?
Evil userspace can pass a bo as pointer to use for relocation lists, lockdep will warn when that locks up, but still..
This is already a problem now, and your fixing will only cause lockdep to explicitly warn on it.

You can make a complicated user program to test this, or simply use this function for debugging:
void ttm_might_fault(void) { struct reservation_object obj; reservation_object_init(&obj); ww_mutex_lock(&obj.lock, NULL); ww_mutex_unlock(&obj.lock); reservation_object_fini(&obj); }

Put it near every instance of copy_to_user/copy_from_user and you'll find the bugs. :)

~Maarten