Re: [BUG] completely bonkers use of set_need_resched + VM_FAULT_NOPAGE

From: Maarten Lankhorst
Date: Fri Sep 13 2013 - 03:17:04 EST

Op 13-09-13 08:44, Thomas Hellstrom schreef:
> On 09/12/2013 11:50 PM, Maarten Lankhorst wrote:

>>> I think a possible fix would be if fault() were allowed to return an error and drop the mmap_sem() before returning.
>>>
>>> Otherwise we need to track down all copy_to_user / copy_from_user which happen with bo::reserve held.
>
> Actually, from looking at the mm code, it seems OK to do the following:
>
> if (!bo_tryreserve()) {
> up_read mmap_sem(); // Release the mmap_sem to avoid deadlocks.
> bo_reserve(); // Wait for the BO to become available (interruptible)
> bo_unreserve(); // Where is bo_wait_unreserved() when we need it, Maarten :P
> return VM_FAULT_RETRY; // Go ahead and retry the VMA walk, after regrabbing
> }
Is this meant as a jab at me? You're doing locking wrong here! Again!

> Somebody conveniently added a VM_FAULT_RETRY, but for a different purpose.
>
> If possible, I suggest to take this route for now to avoid the mess of changing locking order in all TTM drivers, with
> all give-up-locking slowpaths that comes with it. IIRC it took some time for i915 to get that right, and completely get rid of all lockdep warnings.
Sorry, but it's still the right thing to do. I can convert nouveau and take a look at radeon. Locking
slowpaths are easy to test too with CONFIG_DEBUG_WW_MUTEX_SLOWPATH.
Just because it's harder, doesn't mean we have to avoid doing it.

The might_fault function will verify the usage of mmap_sem with lockdep automatically when PROVE_LOCKING=y.
This means that any copy_from_user / copy_to_user will always check mmap_sem.

> This will keep the official locking order
> bo::reserve
> mmap_sem
Disagree, fix the order and the trylock and 'wait for unreserved' half assed locking will disappear.

~Maarten