Re: [GIT PULL] perf fixes

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Thu Sep 12 2013 - 16:11:04 EST

* Linus Torvalds <torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 12, 2013 at 11:03 AM, Linus Torvalds
> <torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > When I compiled "perf" at the same time as doing a big kernel compile,
> > the kernel compile failed
>
> Oops. That may actually have been me being a bit *too* eager with a
> "make allmodconfig" build. I can't reproduce it, and I'm starting to
> suspect that I instead had two kernel compiles going, not one kernel
> compile and a tools/perf/ compile.

Btw., building perf in parallel to an ongoing kernel compile is something
I do almost daily, and I never saw problems due to that. A perf build is
not supposed to cause any side effect on the kernel build and vice versa.

So in general it should just work.

> "Yo Dawg, I heard you like kernel compiles, so I put a kernel compile
> in your kernel compile so that you can compile the kernel while you
> compile the kernel".

Heh, accidental dual kernel builds within the same kernel tree is
something I have a _lot_ of involuntary experience with, and I usually
recognize the error message patterns straight away ;-)

As a kernel hacker one learns useful skills all the time!

Thanks,

Ingo