Re: Debugging system freezes on filesystem writes

From: Marcus Sundman
Date: Thu Sep 12 2013 - 14:12:30 EST

On 12.09.2013 19:35, Jan Kara wrote:
On Thu 12-09-13 18:08:13, Marcus Sundman wrote:
And can I somehow "reset" whatever it is that is making it worse so
that it becomes good again? That way I could spend maybe 1 hour once
every few months to get it back to top speed.
Any other ideas how I could make this (very expensive and fairly new
ZenBook) laptop usable?
Well, I believe if you used like 70% or less of the disk and regularly
(like once in a few days) run fstrim command, I belive the disk performance
should stay at a usable level.

At 128 GB it is extremely small as it is, and I'm really struggling to fit all on it. Most of my stuff is on my NAS (which has almost 10 TB space), but still I need several code repositories and the development environment and a virtual machine etc on this tiny 128 GB thing.

So, if I used some other filesystem, might that allow me to use a larger portion of the SSD without this degradation? Or with a much slower rate of degradation?

And at some point it will become unusable again, so what can I do then? If I move everything to my NAS (and maybe even re-create the filesystem?) and move everything back, might that get rid of the FTL fragmentation? Or could I somehow defragment the FTL without moving away everything?

Regards,
Marcus